Different Types Of Emergency that Require An Emergency Procedure
Identify Different types of emergency what would require an organisation to have an emergency procedure.
Emergency that require emergency procedure are:
- Fire or explosion,
- The accidental release of toxic chemicals or gases, transport incidents, bomb alerts or
- Other terrorist activities, weather related emergencies and earthquakes.
Points to include in emergency procedures
- Consider what might happen and how the alarm will be raised. Don’t forget night and shift working, weekends and times when the premises are closed, eg holidays
- Plan what to do, including how to call the emergency services. Help them by clearly marking your premises from the road. Consider drawing up a simple plan showing the location of hazardous items
- If you have 25 tonnes or more of dangerous substances, you must notify the fire and rescue service and put up warning signs
- Decide where to go to reach a place of safety or to get rescue equipment. You must provide suitable forms of emergency lighting
- You must make sure there are enough emergency exits for everyone to escape quickly, and keep emergency doors and escape routes unobstructed and clearly marked.
- Nominate competent people to take control (a competent person is someone with the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to manage health and safety)
- Decide which other key people you need, such as a nominated incident controller, someone who is able to provide technical and other site-specific information if necessary, or first-aiders
- Plan essential actions such as emergency plant shutdown, isolation or making processes safe. Clearly identify important items like shut-off valves and electrical isolators etc
- You must train everyone in emergency procedures. Don’t forget the needs of people with disabilities and vulnerable workers
- Work should not resume after an emergency if a serious danger remains. If you have any doubts ask for assistance from the emergency services
Other Important Health and Safety Topics:
- How to Pass NEBOSH IGC In First Attempt?
- Guidance On NEBOSH Command Words / Action Verbs
- Why We Manage Health and Safety?
- Barriers In Promoting Good Standards Of Health And Safety at Workplace.
- Purpose Of Three Main Sections Of An Organization’s Health And Safety Policy.
- Circumstances That May Require A Health And Safety Policy To Be Reviewed
- Setting Of Health and Safety Targets & Their Importance
- Reasons Why An Organization Should Review Its Health And Safety Performance
Other Important Useful Links: